- Posted: 26 May 2021
- Location: Auckland & Wellington
- Specialism: Counsellor or Social Worker
- Job type: Fixed-term
- Contact: Sasha John
- Phone: 03 379 2824
- Email: Sasha.John@pgf.nz
- Close Date: 9th June
0.8 FTE – 32 hours a week (Auckland)
0.5 FTE – 20 hours a week (Wellington)
These are fixed-term roles ending in June 2022.
Are you passionate about improving the health and wellbeing of others?
Are you experienced in mental health and addictions?
Do you want to be part of a team that strives to achieve healthy communities?
Then this will be the opportunity for you! We are seeking 2 dedicated and experienced Counsellors/Social Workers in the mental health and addiction field to join our Asian Family Services team in Auckland and Wellington. These are fixed term roles ending in June 2022.
Asian Family Services (AFS) has been providing support to our Asian communities in New Zealand since 1998. We are a charitable trust and New Zealand's only service provider for people of Asian backgrounds affected by mental health issues and gambling harm. Our service operates in many areas: the Asian Helpline, clinical interventions, public health work, Asian Wellbeing Services, COVID-19 related counselling services, research work, and more!
About the role:
The successful candidate will:
• Provide clinical and therapeutic support to Asian individuals, families and affected others experiencing harm from problem gambling and related co-existing issues such as mental health, drug and alcohol use and family wellbeing
• Deliver public health education, advocacy, and community engagement to raise awareness about factors contributing to gambling harm and how to reduce harm for individuals, families, and communities with a focus on Asian communities
• Support individuals, particularly women, families, groups, and communities during the rebuild and recovery from the impacts of COVID-19 and ensure that vulnerable people, including children and adults, are safeguarded from harm
• Completed qualification in a relevant field such as social work, counselling and/or addiction
• Membership to an appropriate governing body
• Minimum 3 years practice experience
• Self-motivation, with the ability to work autonomously
• Fluency in on South Asian language is highly desirable
• Knowledge of a wide range of assessment and screening tools
• Experience in harm minimisation and non-abstinence-based approaches
• Knowledge of Asian treatment models of care is essential
• Ability to practice holistic models of care
• Willingness and/or experience in working in prisons and with probation services
• Ability to work cross-culturally and engage with diverse communities
• Effective and respectful communication skills
• Strong work ethic and high standards of record keeping
• Competence in data entry and Microsoft 365 programmes desirable
• Full and clean driver’s licence
What we offer:
• Flexible working environment
• Ten days sick leave
• Competitive salary based on skills and experience
• Career development and training opportunities
• Fortnightly external supervision
• Use of company vehicle
We are committed to delivering a mana enhancing service and the health, safety and wellbeing of all staff is important to us. We value the connections you have with your community and encourage people with diverse backgrounds to apply.
If you want to make a difference by working to achieve healthy communities, then we want to hear from you. Applications will close at 5.00pm on 9 June 2021 unless filled prior.
For a full job description or to send an application and CV, please contact:
Or visit our website www.asianfamilyservices.nz/about-us/careers